Frequently asked questions
Why did my case go to Enhanced Collections?

All court-ordered financial obligations, including fines, fees, cost of probation, and victim restitution, are to be paid immediately, or in a manner to be determined by the court’s Enhanced Collections Division.

If I visit an Enhanced Collections office what should I bring with me?

Before visiting a Enhanced Collections office please read the walk-in information sheet for details and complete the Enhanced Collections verification form.

Is there a grace period for my payment?

Payments must be received by the due date each month. Contact the Enhanced Collections Division if you are having difficulties meeting the due date.

If I mail my payment, will you send a receipt?

Yes, if you include a self-addressed, stamped envelope along with your payment.

What if I fail to pay my court ordered fines, fees and assessments?

Failure to pay court-ordered fines, fees, and assessments may result in the Enhanced Collections Division initiating a civil action. This may include, but not be limited to, property liens and wage garnishments.

Any delinquent balance may be reported to one or more credit reporting agencies. Furthermore, a civil assessment in the amount of $300 will be added pursuant to Penal Code section 1214.1. You may also be liable for additional cost/fees that may be incurred due to this action being taken.

I have a warrant, but live out of state and cannot appear in person. What can I do?

If you have a warrant on a misdemeanor or felony case, you may be able to have an attorney appear on your behalf, unless otherwise advised by an attorney or the Court.

The judge didn't say I owe probation costs. Why do I have to pay?

Pursuant to 1203.1b PC, in any case in which a defendant is granted probation or given a conditional sentence, the probation officer, or his or her authorized representative, taking into account any amount that the defendant is ordered to pay in fines, assessments, and restitution, shall make a determination of the ability of the defendant to pay all or a portion of the reasonable cost of any probation supervision or a conditional sentence, of conducting any pre-plea investigation and preparing any pre-plea report pursuant to Section 1203.7.

I'm unemployed. How can I pay?

If your case qualifies and you meet income guidelines, you may be eligible for the Sheriff’s Labor Program or community service.

What happens if my check is returned?

A $53.00 returned check fee will be assessed to the case and payment must be submitted within 15 days by cash, cashier’s check, money order, debit, or credit card.

I went to prison. Do I still owe the fine?

Depending on the court order, the fines and fees may still be due and payable.

Can I serve time for my fine?

If your case qualifies and you meet income guidelines, you may be eligible to serve time in lieu of paying a fine. Court fees and restitution ARE NOT eligible and must be paid.

What do I do if I have moved?

You must update your address and phone number with the Enhanced Collections Division via phone or in person.

© 2018 Superior Court of California, County of Riverside