A guardianship is a court case in which a person who is not the parent of a child asks for custody of the child, the power to manage the child’s property, or both. There are two types of guardianships. Most cases go to the Probate Court. But if the child is a dependent or ward of the juvenile court, guardianship must be decided in Juvenile Court.

Self-Help Information Centers provide general assistance to people who do not have attorney.

Read More Information ...

Find Information About ...

Form Packets for Guardianship
Where Can I Get Help Filling Out the Guardianship Petition?

You may be eligible for legal assistance through Riverside Legal Aid (formerly Public Service Law Corporation) Guardianship Assistance Program (GAP).

You may contact them to see if you qualify and to make an appointment at 951.682.7968 (Riverside) or 760.347.9456 (Indio) or online at

Additional assistance may be available through Kin Care.

What if the Child May Have Native American Ancestry?
What are Probate Notes and Why They are Important to Your Case?
How to Contact a Probate Examiner Regarding Probate Notes

After reviewing the probate notes on the website, you may email a probate examiner. (Email is checked daily and you should receive a response within 24 hours)

However, keep in mind the examiner may only answer procedural questions. Examiners may not give legal advice or advise you how to handle your matter.

Email a Probate Examiner relating to Probate Notes
Supervised Child Visitation

Supervised Child Visitation can be defined as visitation limited to special situations where a third party, ordered by the court, is present with the visiting parent during the period of visitation with the children.

Learn more about supervised child visitation.

© 2018 Superior Court of California, County of Riverside