Filing your Small Claims

How to File

Information for Plaintiff

Information for Defendant

  • Do I need to file an answer/response? - There is no response form in Small Claims. You do not need to file any papers prior to your hearing unless you think this is the wrong court for your case. You will bring all of your evidence with you to your hearing including witnesses, receipts, and pictures that support your case.
  • Sue the person who is suing you - If you have a claim against the plaintiff and the claim is appropriate for small claims, you may file a Defendant's Claim (SC-120)

Fees to file a Small Claims case with the court

Range Fee
$1.00 to $1,500.00 $30.00
$1,501.00 to $5,000.00 $50.00
$5,001.00 to $10,000.00 $75.00

For Additional fees, please see the Court's Fee Schedule.

Filing your case

  • In Person
    • You may submit your paperwork in person. Please bring with you the original document plus one copy for each party on your case
    • Use our court locator to verify where your case belongs
  • By Mail
    • You may submit your paperwork by mail. Please mail the original plus one copy for each party listed on your case to the court. In addition to your copies, please include a self-addressed, pre-stamped envelope so that the court can return your copies
    • Acceptable forms of payment include a check or money order
    • The check is made out to "Riverside Superior Court"
    • Mail forms and envelope to:
      • Superior Court of California, County of Riverside
      • Attn: Small Claims Division
    • Use our court locator to verify the proper court location for filing
    • Court addresses
  • By Fax
    • You may submit your paperwork by fax. You can receive more information about this service on our website
  • Electronic Fax (Submit your paperwork online)
    • You have the option of submitting your paperwork online. Documents must be submitted as a non-editable PDF. You can find information regarding the process and fee on our website


You can request the court to provide you with an interpreter. A court-provided interpreter may not be available. Alternatively, you may bring an adult who is not a witness or an attorney to interpret for you.

ADA Accommodation

If you have a disability and need assistance, you may complete the form Request for Accommodations (MC-410).

© 2018 Superior Court of California, County of Riverside