End Search

A conservatorship is a court case in which a judge appoints a family member, friend or other responsible person (called a conservator) to care for another adult who cannot care for him or herself (called a conservatee). Once you are appointed conservator, you are legally responsible to provide care for the conservatee’s daily needs.

There are three types of conservatorship actions:

General Probate Conservatorship

For adults who are unable to provide for their personal needs due to physical injury, dementia or other reasons rendering them incapable of caring for themselves or making them subject to undue influence.

Limited Conservatorship

This is only for a person who is developmentally disabled. In this type of conservatorship the powers of the conservator are limited so that the disabled person may live as independently as possible.

LPS (Lanternman-Petris-Short) Conservatorship (W&I 5350-5371)

This is for a gravely disabled person who may be a danger to themselves or others and requires hospitalization in a psychiatric facility. An LPS conservatorship requires the annual reappointment of the conservator. A person under an LPS conservatorship may be placed in a locked facility. There are many extra protections in LPS conservatorships to insure that the conservatee's civil rights are not being violated.

Self-Help Information Centers provide general assistance to people who do not have attorney.

Read More Information ...

Find Information About ...

Form Packets for Conservatorship
Online Mandatory Conservatorship Orientation

Each proposed conservator must complete the Online Mandatory Conservator Orientation.

Where Can I Get Help on Conservatorship Matters?

Conservatorship Assistance Program

Income-qualifying individuals may be eligible for free legal assistance through Riverside Legal Aid. To schedule an appointment in Riverside call 951.682.7968 or in Indio call 760.347.9456 or contact them online at www.riversidelegalaid.org

Self-Help Probate

Self-represented individuals can obtain assistance with Probate matters using the links below. Please note: Self-Help Probate assistance is by appointment only.

What are Probate Notes and Why They are Important to Your Case?
How to Contact a Probate Examiner Regarding Probate Notes

After reviewing the probate notes on the website, you may email a probate examiner. (Email is checked daily and you should receive a response within 24 hours)

However, keep in mind the examiner may only answer procedural questions. Examiners may not give legal advice or advise you how to handle your matter.

Email a Probate Examiner relating to Probate Notes
Sterilization Petitions

If you are filing a petition for sterilization under Probate Code § 1950 regarding an individual with a developmental disability, you may obtain a list of physicians as identified under Probate Code § 1955 by contacting the Inland Regional Center as follows:

Inland Regional Center
Attn: Fair Hearings & Legal Affairs
P.O. Box 19037
San Bernardino, CA 92423
(909) 890-3000

© 2018 Superior Court of California, County of Riverside